Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Wanderings- Hills Cemetery



Entrance Gate to Hills Cemetery.


All of my life I have been visiting cemeteries. As a child I grew up in New England and my Mom had us out there researching genealogy, doing grave stone rubbings (when you still could), and learning about history. I love the old stones, the symbolic carvings, the atmosphere.  I have visited graveyards from Coast to Coast.

So imagine my delight when a friend recently purchased a map called Hidden Ohio, a guide to all of the haunted sites, big foot sightings, strange creatures, and ancient Native American Indian sites. We have been out exploring most weekends since. The exploration this weekend took us to the tiny town of Thackery, Ohio to Hills Cemetery. Off of State route 55, you take Creek Road North of town and the cemetery is quite a ways down in a wooded area.
                                                                           




We both experienced a very heavy feeling upon entering the cemetery. We spent some time walking
around, many of the stones are unreadable with a heavy mold. A lot of stones are just worn down and
broken. The cemetery is supposed to be haunted by a young girl that was brutally murdered here at the bottom of the hill in the 1970's.



An infant daughter of F & E Kite, Died 1887.


I came across this stone laying on the ground. The infant daughter of the Kite family. It says, "When the trumpet sounds, the dead shall rise." The only history I could find about the cemetery stated it was circa
1830 but I know I saw a few graves from the early 1820's.



Gravestone with Lamb carving.
 

        On our way out I couldn't resist taking a picture of the signs shadow on the road. Off to another.



Shadow of Hills Cemetery gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment